We invest in
The most urgent problems hold the biggest opportunities. The Engine invests in remarkable founders to create positive global change.
Meeting the challenges of a changing climate requires new materials and processes for how we produce, move, store and use energy. These companies are working to mitigate the most severe consequences of climate change while building the backbone of our economy for decades to come.
Our investments in human health build on Boston’s foundation of biotechnology knowledge and leadership. Converging biology, materials, engineering, and AI to empower a healthy, vibrant world.
We are investing in the development and integration of multi-systems and technology, like advanced computing, mobility, and the built environment that will create more effective, productive, and inclusive foundational technology for industrial systems.
- 1/4 of all greenhouse gas emissions are from energy production.
- Safe, unlimited, carbon-free fusion power.
- Lack of cures for common diseases.
- Growing healthy human tissues.
- Artificial intelligence is limited by computing power.
- Processing with photons instead of electrons.
- Unidentified public health problems.
- Sewage analysis to protect cities.
- Industrial thermal separations account for 12% of all U.S. energy consumption.
Decarbonize every industrial process.
- Vaccines are hard to transport and not maximally effective.
- A shelf-stable patch with better delivery capability.
- A third of global food produced is wasted.
- A natural coating to reduces spoilage and packaging waste.
- A 100% renewable grid requires on-demand energy access.
- Low-cost multi-day energy storage.
- Instability of food supply chains.
- Producing low-carb, protein-rich fungi flour.
- Supply chain gaps from a truck driver shortage.
- Self-driving trucks at warehouses and factories.
- Laboratory-derived wood products.
- Cloud computing is massively inefficient.
- Eliminate guesswork to optimize infrastructure.
“Imagine the world in 2050. Our vision is for 10,000 zero carbon ARC fusion power plants delivering electricity to the grid globally, meeting greater than 20% of humanity’s demand.”Bob Mumgaard CEO & Founder, Commonwealth Fusion Systems
“With Biobot, public health officials can stay ahead of what’s coming and adjust their treatment strategies accordingly.”Mariana Matus CEO & Founder, Biobot Analytics
Advanced Systems & Infrastructure
“The future of computing lies in the orchestration of distributed resources. Sync's technology will help eliminate massive waste that exists in today's cloud computing ecosystem. We are on a mission to radically change how developers control cloud infrastructure, to hit cost, runtime, and environmental goals.”Jeff Chou CEO & Co-Founder, Sync Computing