Established in 2020, The Tech Venture Fellowship is a paid, part-time program for current graduate students and postdocs to help shape the next generation of Tough Tech companies and investments.
Working together with our investment team over the period of 5 months, the Fellows explore various Tough Tech areas, conduct scientific and technical diligence of incoming opportunities, and support our portfolio companies across key areas. The Technology Venture Fellowship program is rooted deeply in science and engineering while exposing Fellows to early-stage company formation and venture investments in Tough Tech.
If you are interested in applying your graduate training and scientific expertise towards the translation of scientific and engineering breakthroughs, the Tech Venture Fellowship offers a unique opportunity to learn about commercialization of breakthrough science and creation of the next generation of companies solving the most important challenges across climate change, human health and advanced systems.
The Fellowship Goals
As the Technology Venture Fellow you will work together with our investment team, Operating Partners, and Entrepreneurs-in-Residence to:
- Develop comprehensive view of a scientific research, publications, and IP within a specific Tough Tech sector
- Build understanding of the market dynamics, competitive landscapes, and key technology and regulatory trends
- Identify and connect with key players, competitors, and relevant academic and industry experts
- Form actionable investment theses around your research
For company-specific diligence, you will:
- Identify the key scientific/technical risks associated with the company
- Identify the target company’s potential competitors and partners
- Evaluate forward-going R&D plan and commercial strategy of the potential company
- Help prepare internal investment memos
Opportunities in Tough Tech
Previous Tough Tech Fellows have gone on to join Engine Ventures ecosystem as:
- Founders and CEOs of Tough Tech companies backed by Engine Ventures
- Key business, product and scientific employees within Engine Ventures portfolio companies
- Associates on Engine Ventures investment team
Many of the Technology fellows have gone on to exciting careers in the broader Tough Tech ecosystem, including:
- Scientific and engineering roles in Tough Tech startups
- Academic jobs at leading institutions
- Consulting and investment roles
We are seeking outstanding scientists, engineers and entrepreneurs with multidisciplinary backgrounds across Engineering, Chemistry, Material Science, Biology, Physics, Computation or Medicine. We look for candidates that are:
- Postdocs or PhD students in their final or penultimate year
- Motivated by Engine Ventures’ mission to enable Tough Tech entrepreneurs to create world-changing companies
- Have the ability to dedicate 8-10 hours per week to The Engine
- Fast and eager learners, naturally curious and passionate about new technologies and their applications
- Have outstanding analytical mind with attention to detail without losing sight of the larger goals and context
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Have the ability to present and communicate effectively
How do I apply?
We currently have a number fellowship openings with applications reviewed on a rolling basis.
Note this is a paid internship opportunity, so if you are a foreign national, please make sure your visa allows you to receive financial compensation.
Please submit a resume and a brief cover letter explaining your interest in the role on the following link. If after reviewing your application, you are selected to continue the interview process, we will reach out to set up an in-person meeting.